Friday 23 September 2011

Sharpening the axe


I had the opportunity of spending a week on the mountains, in prayer and meditation. It is always a great time, when it comes once a year, a time in which one can re-focus on what matters the most, verify one's journey, and look ahead at the next stretch.
An elderly Benedictine monk guided my companions and me with wisdom and moderation. He started with a small story which may be known to many, but was unknown to me. I found it meaningful, so I share it.

A young man presented himself with his axe to the Foreman of a timber business, asking to be hired. The Foreman asked him to fell a nearby tree, and the eager young man did it in record time. So he was hired. It was a Monday morning.
On Thursday the Foreman met him again, asked him how he was, and then told him that he could collect his pay-check as he went home in the evening. The young man was surprised: “I thought we would get paid on Saturdays”, he said. “Yes, that's was we do. But you are going to be laid off today”, was the reply of the Foreman.
The young man was taken aback. “Why?” he asked.
Your records show that your performance is dwindling steadily. You were the first ranker on Monday, but the number of trees you felled diminished every day. Today you are the last.”
I've been working hard all week, even during coffee breaks.”
Sensing the young man's integrity, the Foreman asked him with a whisper: “Have you sharpened your axe?”
No,” was the reply, “I've been too busy working. I've had no time to do that.”

Isn't it so true? We do need regular time to “sharpen our axe”, whatever our field of work and expertise. Else, we would work like coolies, and see no results.

3 comments:

  1. an inspiring story to concentrate on the most important thing of life. we take so much struggle to go fast but forget to put the fuel, and the vehicle is broken down half way.......
    it helps me to say myself, "hey....wait a moment where are u moving? is it the right way? "
    i like the teaching of that good old benedictine monk. i wish i could be there to share that moment of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that's what happens with many of us not that we don't know to do the thing at a times we are taken away by whims and fancies....though provoking story but should not remain with the rational level....must be actualized time will teach lesson 2 everyone....
    I like that monk man of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Fr that was lovely will share it with our group . such a small story but lots of meaning esp 4 people like me who keep running n seldom stop to sharpen my axe . thanks fr for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete